Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Joy of the Call-up


I don't even know how to start this, so i'm just going to type as i think. I just found out that one of my best friends from Connecticut, Charlie Morton, is going to get his first career major league start this Saturday for the Atlanta Braves against the Anaheim Angels. Charlie is one of the top pitching prospects in all of baseball and after dominating Triple-A with a 5-2 record with a 2.09 ERA, he has finally been promoted to the majors. What makes me even happier about this is that even though Charlie is an awesome pitcher, he's an even better person, which makes the call up that much more exciting. I met him my freshman year in high school and we quickly became close friends, joking around in lunch and class (Foss in Geography oh lord) and writing freestyle rap lyrics in study hall or on AIM. Charlie was always so chill, and he was one of the few friends who i had at a time when many of my older friends were leaving me behind. I moved to Michigan after my sophomore year but I've always followed Charlie's pitching career from the time he was signed by the Atlanta Braves through his journey through the minors and finally to this point today. I can't imagine how excited he must feel knowing he is going to the majors, all i know is that it completely made my day and damn near my year just knowing that one of my very good friends has achieved such a monumental accomplishment. You better believe that first start in Atlanta i'm going to be acting a fool while cheering on a great friend on the grandest stage the sport of baseball has to offer.

No comments: